Tuesday 22 May 2012

Afternoon Tea

Vanilla slice would have to be my favourite of the slices I think. I've had a craving for it for a while, but have avoided the ones in cafes for fear of being disappointed, homemade treats are the best kind I believe.  I'm glad I waited as this tasted absolutely delicious. Made even better with a nice spot a tea.

Vanilla Slice with Passionfruit Icing


2 Sheets puff pastry
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup custard powder
1 1/2 cups of thickened cream
2 cups milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

Icing:
2 cups of icing sugar
3 teaspoon butter
2 passion fruit
hot water

Preheat oven to 220'. Place puff pastry on a tray and pierce with a fork. Bake for around 10-15 minutes. Put sugar, custard powder and cream in a saucepan and stir over a medium heat until it starts to thicken.
Add milk 1/2 cup at a time and whisk continuously until thick. Set a side to cool slightly.
Place in a 23cm square tin, pastry, custard, then pastry.
Make icing by combining sugar, butter and passion fruit in a bowl, then add hot water a teaspoon at a time, until you get a smooth consistency.  Pour on top of slice.

This tastes the best after about a day in the fridge I think.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by Best Web Hosting